Junior Art Director
tentree is a lifestyle apparel company based out of Vancouver, Canada that plants ten trees for every item purchased. By combining social and environmental consciousness with apparel, we empower our customers to have a direct impact on saving the planet through intentional purchasing.
Who are we looking for?
As Junior Art Director, you report to tentree’s Art Director and support in the development of consumer campaigns and marketing assets through the infusion of your creativity and fresh design perspectives. In this role, you wear two hats....1) developing creative approaches for assigned campaigns and marketing assets for our designers to execute and 2) independently owning marketing projects from the creative concept through to design deliverables. As someone who is curious and obsessed with design and storytelling, you will help tentree inspire others to help restore the planet.
What will you be doing?
- You will conceptualize creative ideas for brand marketing campaigns and assets.
- You will take creative concepts and effectively apply them to various channels and mediums, ensuring work is on brief and on brand.
- You will translate assigned marketing objectives into clear creative approaches, while ensuring visual communication and brand standards are met along the way.
- You will present and effectively communicate campaigns and concepts to key stakeholders.
- You will ensure consistency and quality of work assigned to the Creative team, such as reviewing and providing feedback, anticipating roadblocks plus troubleshooting issues. This includes ensuring tentree’s Art Director is informed and kept up-to-date on projects and progress.
- You will lead collaboration with the Brand team to ensure your concepts are communicating our brand in a consistent, purposeful, and engaging way.
- You will support the Art Director in developing junior to intermediate staff in graphic design and production.
- You will develop and execute production art files for print and digital mediums (such as email, social, retail signage, catalogues, product labels) in English and French.
- You will adjust type and imagery as necessary, ensuring the integrity of original art files.
- You will produce or recreate illustrations, logos, and similar items in vector or raster-based programs.
- You will provide copy and content insertion, file manipulation, pre-flight formatting, checking files and uploading clean files to production.
- You will support with planning and executing content creation, ensuring alignment with creative intention and brand direction.
- You will develop digital experiences through clear wireframes and collaboration with We Development team.
- You will ensure campaign and assets files are archived for future reference.
- You will champion tentree style guide and brand standards ensuing adherence and consistency across the business.
- 5+ years’ graphic design experience in a lead role or previous senior designer experience.
- A degree/diploma in Graphic Design, New Media, related field or equivalent work experience.
- High level of proficiency in creative software tools - Adobe Creative Cloud (particularly Photoshop, Illustrator) as well as a thorough knowledge of information architecture, usability, UI and UX design.
- Exceptional typographic layout skills, specialized knowledge of methods and techniques of graphic design, colour theory and layout, and high-level execution.
- Experience in preparing and troubleshooting final files with good problem-solving ability and a proactive approach.
- Proficient in creating work across digital, social, print, signage as well as film/broadcast.
- Proven experience concepting for and executing direct-to-consumer campaigns with a strong understanding of the online and wholesale/retail customer journey.
- Professional understanding of typography including fluent illustration, prototyping and/or multimedia skills.
- Strong understanding of consumer behaviour and current trends in the retail and digital e-commerce space.
- Ability to execute multiple initiatives/projects with close attention to detail while still seeing the big picture and understanding how all of the pieces fit together and affect one another.
- Demonstrated ability to build trusted relationships across a diverse range of stakeholders through excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience in assigning work, coaching and providing objective feedback.
- Experience in the apparel industry and/or with mission-driven brands is preferred.
- A ‘can-do’ approach and a passion to encourage the same.
- A start-up mentality, entrepreneurial spirit and is familiar with grassroots marketing.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced start-up culture; can adapt quickly and effectively to changing needs and expectations.
- A self-motivated learner, showing self-awareness and demonstrating openness and curiosity. Willing to experiment and learn from mistakes and past experiences, always showing courage to step outside of comfort zones.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Passionate about the environment and have a desire to make a truly incredible impact.
- Extended healthcare plan
- Generous paid days off
- Ability to work from home with flexible hours
- Opportunities for training and development
- Employee discounts
- Discretionary bonus
A typical hiring range for this position is $68,000 - $80,000 CAD per year with the final salary offer based on your qualifications, job-related skills, and relevant experience. In addition, tentree's total rewards offering also includes comprehensive benefits, inclusion in our bonus program, a certified inspiring workplace, and exclusive perks to reward your exceptional performance and contributions.
tentree is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs.