Product Developer (Apparel)
tentree is a lifestyle apparel company based out of Vancouver, Canada that plants trees for every item purchased. By combining social and environmental consciousness with apparel, we empower our customers to have a direct impact on saving the planet through intentional purchasing.
As an Apparel Product Developer, you are driven by the technical aspect of product creation. Your role is to translate the designer’s intent into a commercially-ready product within the Go-To-Market calendar timelines. Reporting to the Product Development Manager, you are the main liaison between the Product team and tentree manufacturing partners throughout the product development cycle. From design hand-off to production, you are responsible for the fit, quality, and construction of tentree products.
What will you be doing?
- You will build and maintain tech packs including sketches, BOMs, size charts, style review comments, and construction pages
- You will work within the PLM system and development tracker to document your progress and ensure tech pack data accuracy
- You will work closely with vendor partners to adhere to tentree's quality and sustainability standards, while meeting cost targets
- You will inspect samples and sample patterns against submitted tech pack and requested changes
- You will lead fitting sessions and conversations with cross-functional partners (Design, Merchandising, Sourcing) to align on the next steps of development.
- You will utilize innovative and creative problem-solving techniques in accomplishing specific design elements
- You will analyze, document, and communicate the outcome of sample fittings to manufacturing partners
- You will ensure fit and construction meet design intent, tentree's standards, and are consistent across product categories
- You will develop collaborative and productive relationships with external partners through effective email communication, video conferencing and onsite visits when possible
- You will collaborate internally as well as cross-departmentally to identify opportunities for continuous improvement
- You will maintain a continuous learning approach by researching and testing innovations within the world of product development, specifically in relation to sustainability and circularity
- You will assist the Product Development Manager in training and mentoring junior developers
- You will work closely with the Product Development Manager to identify risks to cost, quality, and schedule and participate in risk management
Professional & Educational Experience
- 6+ years fit specialist and/or product development experience in a mass production environment
- Proficient in AI and Centric (or similar PLM system)
- Strong knowledge of fit and grading
- Strong understanding of end-to-end product development cycle for both D2C and B2B GTM calendars
- Experience or comfort working in various apparel categories such as knits, woven, fully fashioned, and outerwear. (outerwear development experience is considered an asset)
- Pattern making experience is considered an asset
- Strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt readily to change
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to conduct fit sessions or vendor meetings independently
- Ability to lead in a dynamic, collaborative team environment
- Ability to manage multiple and changing seasonal priorities
- Approach work with a sense of fun, curiosity, and thirst for learning
- Extended healthcare plan
- Generous paid days off
- Ability to work from home with flexible hours
- Opportunities for training and development
- Employee discounts
- Discretionary bonus
tentree is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs.