Director, Export Sales
IN A NUTSHELL
Bellroy is a global business (founded in Melbourne, Australia) with a bold growth plan. Since we sold our first wallet in 2011, we’ve diversified into tech products, bags and accessories; we’re now a team of 100 staff, selling in more than 1000 doorways and directly to consumers in 150 countries globally.
We’ve been developing our presence in Southeast Asia and East Asia for more than 10 years and currently sell through over 250 doorways in the region (and counting). We also partner with large distributors in the region in countries such as Singapore, Japan and Taiwan. We’re looking for a Sales Director to help nurture our current distributors, explore new opportunities and expand our reach during our next growth phase.
Bring us your strategic sales mind, knowledge of the region and desire for growth. In return, we’ll offer a world-class team to work alongside, an award-winning culture to be a part of and the tools you need to get sh*t done.
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF YOU…
- Have 10+ years of sales or business development experience working for lifestyle brands, ideally in categories such as accessories, footwear or cosmetics
- Have a deep understanding of global retail markets, specialising in the Asia region including Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and Singapore
- Are experienced with selling products through international distributors and into key retailers across Asia
- Have some design geek to go with your sales charm. Often the brilliance of our products needs some explanation, which is fine because you're comfortable doing so in a compelling, well-informed and genuine manner
- Are aware of cultural nuances and can adjust your communication style to build relationships within the region
- Want to deliver exceptional results for a young brand doing awesome things. At Bellroy, we focus on long-term quality relationships with the right businesses (and people), to ensure our common goals are met.
A COUPLE MONTHS IN THIS ROLE MIGHT LOOK LIKE…
- Negotiating commercial terms and pricing with a potential new distributor partner in South Korea, working closely with senior management (CFO, CBO, VP, Global Wholesale) on the launch assortment, demand plan and expected contribution margins of the business prior to signing the distribution agreement
- Leading a conference call with our distributor in Japan discussing our sell through data at key accounts and reviewing an opportunity for an exciting new brand collaboration with a retailer in Tokyo
- Connecting with our distributor in Taiwan to discuss a pop-up shop opportunity inside a major department store in Taipei and then following up with our Retail Marketing Director to setup a project timeline to execute our Visual Merchandising strategy
- Reviewing our distributor’s monthly sales reports to check top-selling styles and on-hand inventory, making note of key data points that would require further conversations with our demand planning team
- Visiting South Korea and walking the floors of key retailers with our distributor, noting competitors, Bellroy brand execution and location of our displays on the floor, in order to prepare your market report for key stakeholders at Bellroy
- Opening up a new major retailer in Japan, working closely with our distribution partner on a launch assortment and co-op marketing plan
- Joining weekly calls with the VP of Global Wholesale to review YTD sales in your territory, discussing strategies and opportunities for growth.
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
As a certified B Corp , we constantly pursue better ways to source our leathers, reduce our impact on the environment and make sure our products last as long as possible. We’re proud of the products we make and equally proud of the relationships we build with our retailers and distributors based on respect, appreciation for good design and the mutual desire to help our customers move through the world with ease.
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time position based in our Melbourne office or fully remote. We have people that work with and for Bellroy on every continent bar Antarctica. Our distributed team members are a critical part of our business, and are treated as such. We ask our remote people to be available to overlap Melbourne office hours a few hours a day. Travel will be required for the role. Estimated travel is 25% of your time including a trip to Melbourne for our yearly company conference in October.