IN A NUTSHELL
Rational yet playful, practical while progressive, at Bellroy we constantly seek effective ways to improve. We believe that instinct is key to point us in useful directions but decisions require data to back them up. Our data team members have diverse skill sets and backgrounds (data engineering, data science and business analysis) and work with our wider business to support informed decision-making through providing accurate, reliable and relevant data.
We’re searching for a Data Manager to oversee this team, coaching them toward their growth goals, developing their skills and prioritising projects to make sure they provide maximum value across the business. We’re looking for someone who gets excited about growing and developing their people, their team’s practices & processes, and in making sure that the things their team builds are useful and enduring.
You’ll have a chance to get technical, jumping deep into analysis or engineering to drive projects forward, but you’d rather teach others to be able to develop these skills. You’ll work with your team to enhance our cloud-based data platform and expand it to talk even more with internal and external sources. Reporting to our Chief Data Officer, you’ll work with them to understand and drive Bellroy’s mid and long-term strategic objectives while guiding your team in their daily work and challenging them to achieve these.
Bring us your sharp logic, management skills, and collaborative approach. In return we’ll offer meaningful work, a world-class team to work alongside, and a great culture to contribute to.
IF YOU WERE HERE IN THE LAST FEW WEEKS YOU MIGHT HAVE...
- Reviewed our overall data systems (supported by very competent sysadmins) with members of your team to ensure everything was in order for future growth and that areas of unnecessary complexity were being simplified while still meeting data needs
- Paired with our data engineers to complete a code and data review for a handful of new pipelines to bring more of our core business data into our data platform within our GCP and AWS environments
- Joined a meeting to understand how duties are applied to products with different countries-of-origin when shipped between multiple pairs of countries and briefed a member of your team on an upcoming process improvement opportunity
- Conducted a performance review with a staff member and helped them refine their development goals for the next 6 months
- Paired with the CDO for a product evaluation, considering the capabilities of the product, the short- and long-term costs, the risk of vendor lock-in, etc.
- Talked with our CDO about some of our mid-term plans, and which combinations of team members have both the necessary skills and the available time to fulfil them
- Prioritised a number of ad hoc requests for additional data, deciding to either fulfil them ad hoc or turn them into permanent data products, working with our engineers, analysts, and other Bellrovians to kick them off
YOU COULD BE THE ONE IF YOU HAVE…
- At least three years experience working in data-related management roles and a genuine interest in helping others in their development
- A background in Computer Science, Statistics, Informatics, Information Systems or another relevant quantitative field
- Experience in project management with exceptional prioritisation & organisational skills
- An interest in how businesses operate and enjoy determining how value can be added through data
- First-principles thinking and understand that just because things have been done in a certain way doesn’t mean they always should be
- A willingness to engage in a challenging, intellectually honest environment and contribute to it
- The ability to get your hands a bit dirty, you want to be involved in the day to day so you can understand what is working and what you can improve
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
We have carefully built our culture on radical effectiveness. Our credo is "smart people with good intentions who get shit done" (yes, really). Our mission is to inspire better ways to carry; use business as a force for good; and help the world – and our crew – flourish. We make great carry products that delight people in their everyday lives. We help our staff love their work and grow as people. We are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything. We believe data can help us discover and refine these better ways. Want to help us?
LOCATION AND HOURS
This full-time role is based in our Collingwood (Melbourne) office. We have a hybrid working model and are flexible when thinking about hiring. If the location or any of the points above don’t fit perfectly, let us know in your cover letter as we are more focused on finding the right human, over finding the human closest to our listed requirements.
Start Day: We're ready when you are!