Junior Softgoods Designer
- Junior Softgoods Designer
IN A NUTSHELL
Inspiring better ways to carry is at the core of Bellroy's mission and we’re on the hunt for a junior soft-goods designer to help our customers move through the world with greater ease, simplicity and enjoyment. We founded Carryology to connect with the carry community and learn from it. With Bellroy, we look to put those learnings into practice and find fresh, innovative solutions to every problem.
As our Junior Soft-goods Designer, you will work beside diversely skilled product designers, our pattern-maker, product developers and guest experts who are all passionate about design and carry, and Bellroy’s strong place within both. You’ll collaborate widely, both inside the business with our creative, development and product management teams, and outside it, with our world-class suppliers. You’ll work through your ideas in our design lab, where we can pattern and prototype new wallets, bags and carry goods in any given day (and still manage to check the surf). And you’d be part of a global business on a mission to lead the way – in both carry, and in business. If this sounds like the job of your dreams, read on.
YOU MIGHT BE THE ONE, IF…
You are hungry to learn and build your skills. You’re probably fresh out of uni and wanting to put your design theory to the test in a practical environment.
The idea of putting something out there, taking the feedback on board and iterating constantly in a dynamic environment is exciting (if a little nerve-wracking) to you. You’re not in it for pats on the back – you are more interested in growing ideas and improving designs with a team of people. Because you understand that at the end of the day, putting the best product in a customer’s hands is more important than anything else.
And because of that, you enjoy collaboration. We don’t believe in design generation in silos; we believe that the best design comes from challenging conversations. You feel excited by the prospect of joining these discussions, and to progress your own projects with input and direction from the group.
You enjoy being hands on and able to work directly with senior teams to support the development of ideas, from insights and hunches into sketches and prototypes.
IF YOU WERE HERE LAST WEEK, HERE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS YOU MIGHT HAVE DONE...
- Brainstormed with the design team on how to incorporate some user insights into a product range
- Developed three concepts for an idea your project leader had, helping them form a better idea of what the end product could be
- Worked in the lab to test some ideas in prototype form, then jammed with the other designers about how the prototypes came out
- Contributed to a discussion about some new ideas, as both sounding board and collaborator
- Scoured a pinterest board and laid out a colour and material mood board for a new range
- Worked with Tara, our Design Studio Director, to get ideas about higher resolution sewn forms
- Created Illustrator specifications for a successful prototype, ensuring our suppliers have the best chance of understanding the vision
- Walked to Bird Rock lookout with the team, to check the ocean and let a little bit of nature soak into your senses (and maybe inspire your creativity).
WHY WORK FOR BELLROY?
We make great products that delight people in their everyday lives. We help our staff love their work and grow as people. We believe in working to help make the world a better place. As a certified B Corp , we pursue better ways to source our leathers (for environmental impact and animal welfare), reduce our impact on the environment and make sure our products last as long as possible. We are constantly looking for better ways to do… well, everything.
LOCATION AND HOURS
This role is full-time and based in our Jan Juc office, with frequent visits to our Collingwood office.
Start Day: We're ready when you are!